Friday, July 5, 2013

SELLING OURSELVES AND RANDOM RAMBLINGS: November 7, 2011

Our adoption profile has been up around seven months. This has been quite a roller-coaster of emotions! As a college friend of mine had a baby today, I felt it was time to remind people of our wait and hopes of beginning our journey of parenthood.

If you know me, you know that I am a very accommodating, unassertive person. Being kind but standing up for myself and expressing my needs and feelings is something I put effort into each and every day. I can't help but feeling that with the adoption process, we are in a position of selling ourselves. Who knows what a birth-mother will or will not like about us, and what will make her choose to or not to pick us as adoptive parents of her baby. We want to be truthful about who we are. Yes, Mike and I both have positive attributes as well as faults.

I daily grapple with the fact that there are people having children who do not want children or should not have children. Why is it that here I am, someone who desperately wants to be a mother but is unable to by natural means? When speaking to family and friends, I sometimes receive responses of platitudes such as, "It takes a special person to adopt," or "You will end up with the child you're meant to have." Yes, I believe we will end up with the child we are meant to have, but this does not make the waiting any easier.

I read a blog post by my cousin a week or so ago in which she discussed the reasoning for and struggles with the decision she and her husband made to not have children. She talked about the fact that this is not a popular choice, it is hard to find people who can relate. I feel similarly about my infertility and decision to pursue adoption. Unlike my cousin, I don't feel like I'm judged by others for my infertility like she is for her decision to not have children. I receive plenty of support and sympathy from family and friends for my infertility and choice to adopt. Despite that, there are only a handful of people in my family and social circles who can truly relate.

One of the biggest things I am grappling with in terms of my infertility is the grief that I will not experience pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. True, these things are not the sole experiences and activities that make a woman a mother or parent. It is a grief that runs deep and presents itself each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment