Friday, July 5, 2013

LAST MINUTE LIST FOR TEXAS: April 13, 2012

I just got off the phone with our adoption counselor in CA. Now that we've been waiting for more than a year, we are able to be put on a last minute list for Texas. This means that a birthmother could be in the hospital without prior arrangements for placing her child up for adoption. She for some reason will have chosen adoption and connect with the social workers at the hospital. Then she'll be given our information to possibly choose us. Then I'll have to jump in my car and drive to Texas and depending upon the time of day, Mike's teaching schedule, etc. he'll jump on a plane and join me when he can.

Technically, the concept behind this is that couples waiting more than a year have a short notice placement within a six hour drive. Colorado is a bit of a stretch, but we were told that the agency in CA put another CO couple on the Texas list, so we're good. Because it's out of state for us, we may have to be in Texas for a couple weeks as the necessary paperwork comes through for us to bring the baby back to Colorado.

Our counselor told me that there are only 4 other couples on this short notice list in Texas. This sounds promising that we're in a small pool of people to be chosen from. I was e-mailed the form that Mike and I will sign, scan, and e-mail to our counselor tonight.

This is good timing for this. I've been feeling pretty discouraged about this happening for us. The fact that we'll be one of 5 couples on this list is pretty encouraging. So, our baby could be coming to us from Texas. Who knows?

So, what does one pack for a Throw the Suitcase in the Car, you May be Getting a Baby trip? I'm going to pack a few layering clothes for me and Mike as well as toiletries. I'm going to get a few newborn diapers, wipes, and a couple gender neutral outfits to pack for the baby. I know we'll be able to get things while there too. Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment