Thursday, April 3, 2014

What to Do When Awake at 4 a.m.

What does one do when her 4 week old daughter wakes at 1:45 a.m. and will not go back to sleep again for more than 5 minutes at a time?  Well, you finally give up at 4 a.m., strap her into the Ergo baby carrier, make a hot strong cup of tea, unload the dishwasher, clean out the fridge in preparation for today's grocery run, and get in some reading of Louise Penny's Rules Against Murder.  

As I type, Rose is asleep in the baby carrier, head resting against my chest.  I have to admit that I'm a bit tired as the parent of a newborn.  Yet, the lack of sleep, the changing and washing of diapers, and the preparation of bottles all mean that I have this incredible human being in my life.  Through my sleep-deprived fog, I am deliriously happy.  I wouldn't at all change a thing.  Well, I would love more sleep, but we can't have everything, can we?!  The fact that I'm sleep-deprived is a tangible reminder of this incredible blessing.

There are two incredibly cute things Rose does.  1) Often after sneezing, she sighs. It goes like this.  "Achoo.  Aaahhh."  And 2). After taking a burp break during feeding and you're wondering whether or not she would like more, she'll smack her lips together as a sign that she wants more.  

I love these adorable tendencies in her and have shared them with her birth mother, who enjoyed hearing of them.

Tired, but blissfully happy mama signing out!

1 comment:

  1. Those are adorable little habits. She sounds very sweet.

    ReplyDelete